Scarlet Nexus: An Interesting Take on Telling A Story but Poor Execution


Story: Initially, the story was not great but not terrible. There were a lot of questions that were built up and most of them were answered as the story progressed. An issue does come up more than halfway into the game. I spent about more than 40 minutes hearing exposition and answers that I didn't expect to listen to. I got bored from there and decided that I would read everything from then on. I am usually the type of person who would listen to the work of the voice actors/actresses but this game changed that for me. I still watched the cinematic cutscenes but the storyboard areas is where I just read and skipped through.

The side quests were mainly just objective quests that requires you to take out a certain enemy and how to do it which I found annoying to do. It shines the most when it comes to bond episodes. These episodes allows you to get closer to the NPCs and allows you to do more effective moves with them.

Gameplay: I don't play many hack-and-slash games but I found this one pretty fun. The combos are simple but it shines most when you combine SAS abilities into the combat. There are also brain drive and expansion which allows you to use your telekinetic power in more damaging ways. There is a skill tree in place but it is not too hard to level up in the game. The skill tree focus around 5 areas. I was able to nearly complete it before I finished my playthrough and it's not a terrible skills tree. Honestly, it looks pretty nice after getting many of the skills unlocked too. The Others are the main enemies within the game. Some of them require certain SAS abilities to deal with them providing a bit of a halt for the combos that are being delt. It is hard to dodge some of their attacks especially when you are facing either 3 big health bar Others or a small swarm of minor others. The bosses in the game are fine. They don't have anything interesting with them and are just there in my opinion. They don't really have repeating mechanics for most of the bosses besides 2 of which. 

Settings & Music: There is a diverse amount of levels to be within the game ranging from an abandon city to the snowy mountain tops. The music in these areas are not bad either. I enjoyed these levels a bit besides one which I won't get into since its close to endgame. Some of these levels are short while others a bit long but there are a some save points in each level.  Going back to the music, there is nothing really memorable about it though. I don't see myself humming the intro music or the hideout music either. Don't get me wrong, they are songs that fit the genre I listen to but they don't really stick in the mind naturally. Another things is that I'm not a fan of the intro, I felt there was a part where they could have ended it when the artist says "Dream and drive" the first time but it continues for about another minute afterward. It feels weird when every time I load of the game and hear it. 

Design: The game feels almost like a storyboard game being mostly engrossed by dialogue. It is an interesting take on how to do the storyboard formula (especially in the end with the transitions) but I found it lacking. The scenes that they have for the storyboard is more comedic to me since the facial expressions are odd. There some nice scenes though but I wasn't expecting to see this formula. The menus for guiding through inventory, info, settings, skill tree, SAS, and all that is fine. There wasn't really anything evolutionary about it since it feels like another menu. The game does allow you to customize your button layout but I didn't really use this option and stuck with the default. An issue I had was the tips. I didn't know how to turn it off as I looked through the settings so every time it appears, it was a large block in the top left of my screen and I found it annoying.  

In the end of it all, Scarlet Nexus was a mediocre game. I plan to watch the anime sometime in the near future but going through another playthrough as Kasane is a definite no. I found the story being very bland near the end and the only redeeming factor being the combat but even that has some flaws. There is a DLC as well but I don't plan on purchasing that either. I felt that this game suffered for having two full stories that you would need to dump hours into. All the work you have done for one character will not transfer over to the other which makes the grind for weapons and plug-in more unbearable to me. I get that there maybe some more interesting story for Kasane since she goes through a different scenario than Yuito but I don't want to go through the parts where both characters are in the scene again, especially the ending. I would rate the game a 5 out of 10. If you want to play the game then go a head but you won't be hearing be talk about it besides how crap the 40 minute dialogue scene was. 

For more content, visit my YouTube channel Khanesu for more goofs and gafs but stick around this blog if you want more of my thoughts on games that I have played. 

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@khanesu1389/featured

Comments