Backbone: The Noir Feel that I Surprisingly Loved


Story: There are many dialogue options that you can choose from as you interact with different characters within the world of Backbone. The game sets a mysterious tone as you uncover more questions than answers as Howard Lotor. You meet allies to help you as you question to piece the questions that you have. The game is very heavily story based but this story had me hooked till the end tacking me through may twists and turns.

Gameplay: It is a very simple point and click adventure as you interact with many different characters deciding what you are going to say next. What you say can influence what happens to you next in key moments. There are puzzles that you can solve as you uncover the truth. They are not difficult as all you need to do is piece together what you need around you. 

Setting/Music: There are several districts that you explore within the city. The citizens within each district act and dress differently compared to the last. They don't lack on the interior designs of the buildings either as you peek through the windows seeing some simple life inside. As you explore inside some buildings, each of them have a different design and tone setting them apart from each other. The music fits the story and theme of the game fitting the noir theme. I found the music to be addicting causing me to go search the OST and add it to my liked playlist in Spotify.   

Design: It is a 2D pixelated, point and click adventure. There were many twists within the story that I found interesting but it remains consistent. The amount of detail they put in the background and the life of the city brings out the immersion of the game. Some of the controls in one puzzle was a bit annoying but this doesn't spread further into the game. I watched a gameplay of this section later for PC and it seems easier their for this singular piece compared to console. 

This game gets a fat 10/10 and sits up there as one of my favorite games. The story stayed interesting as you go around trying to piece a mystery. The music really hooked me in and the simple life of the city immersed me into this world. I did find an annoyance with one puzzle since I was using a controller but that did not hinder me throughout the rest of the game. I do recommend you guys to try this game out and play it for yourself. It is a journey worth stepping into. 


Comments

  1. Coming from someone who normally likes beat em up video games, I've gotten more into story based games lately. I'll add this to my list, thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment