Toem: Pictures Galore and A Relaxing Mood to Boot

 


Story: Not a very complex story. The main point is to journey around 5 different levels, take pictures, complete quests, and enjoy the world around you. It is very nice and simple. 

Gameplay: I love how you can take pictures of everything in the world and there is nothing hindering you. There are filters that you can obtain later on, allowing you to customize your pictures. You can explore your collection of photos and favorite those you like and label them. There are many items you can collect to make your character look more goofier than the last. Some of these items do play a role for certain encounters so keep this in mind as you go through a playthrough. With each character you meet, they have different objectives for you to do (mainly go take a picture of this and bring it back to me) but it's not too annoying to do. Special pictures can be taken such as filling out an animal log or completing specific character missions where they sparkle allowing you to get a neat picture of them. I did play this game on the PS5 and I have to say, the motion controls can be a bit annoying. I didn't bother turning them off since it didn't hinder anything I did. 

Setting/Music: There are 5 different levels each of which have a different theme of their own. The music playing in the background of each level fits very well. Once you listen to it, you can play it on your Walkman later if you wish. There isn't any music that is memorable for me but when I do listen to it, I feel pretty relaxed. Each level brings its own life to the world of Toem and I have to say, I am impressed. 

Design: The game is in a 2D/3D world colored in black and white. I like this art style because it makes a special moment all the more special.  

The game is a very nice relaxing indie that I enjoyed a lot. From the world, art style, music, and simple story and quests, I had a very fun time. With this, I am giving the game a 9/10. There were some cases where I spend a bit too much time looking for something but this has happened twice throughout the game. One in base game and the other in the DLC. Plus the DLC really was a nice add on bringing back some old faces while meeting some new one. The DLC adds some new gameplay mechanic giving it a fresh feeling and I would recommend that you go play it. It is free and a gift from the creators so don't hesitate playing it after you complete base game. I will definitely recommend this game to many of my pals. For more content, visit my YouTube channel Khanesu or read my previous reviews on my BlogSpot.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@khanesu1389/featured

Comments